NL Must Terminate the Abortion Pill
The decision of Premier Ball and Government of Newfoundland and Labrador to fund the kill pill (also known as the abortion pill, RU-486, Mifegymiso and other names) as of September 1, 2018 is rather disturbing.
RU-486 does nothing to limit the number of abortions. The kill pill will very likely have the opposite effect by adding to the abortion death toll of over 1,000 a year in Newfoundland and Labrador alone. These abortions could be carried out at home and alone, the equivalent to the proverbial back alley.
RU-486 is no different in principle than induced surgical abortion as it still kills an innocent preborn baby. The only practical difference is the method. The surgical method often involves removing the baby’s limbs and crushing the baby’s skull so the baby can be sucked out of the womb. The chemical method deprives the baby of nutrition, starves the baby to death and forces the baby to detach from the uterine wall. The baby is then expelled with powerful contractions and may be seen by the mother who is left to mourn.
Like surgical abortion, chemical abortion is not without risks to the mother. Complications caused by RU-486 could involve severe bleeding, severe infections, sepsis and death. The US Food and Drug Administration reported 22 deaths (other than the preborn babies) and 97 ectopic pregnancies from the drug in the USA as of December, 2017. It also reported 4,185 cases of adverse effects and 1,041 hospitalizations. Since a fraction of the complications are ever reported, these numbers could be just the tip of the iceberg.
The side effects of RU-486 are of particular concern in Newfoundland and Labrador. Given our unique geography, mothers taking the kill pill could be hours away from the nearest adequate emergency room.
Premier Ball and the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador must immediately terminate the abortion pill. However, if they still hold fast to their awfully atrocious agenda certain measures must be taken including:
- The kill pill must not be publicly funded.
- To ensure informed consent, mothers seeking RU-486 must be presented with information such as the risks and alternatives, including choosing life, and gestational development.
- The requirement of an ultrasound in order to prescribe the kill pill must not force those waiting for ultrasounds for other reasons to wait even longer.
- Doctors and Pharmacists must be guaranteed freedom of conscience and not be forced to deal RU-486 against their will.
- Ensure adequate emergency care is readily available for victims of the abortion pill.
Canada then needs to take measures to leave the company of North Korea, the only other nation without any legal restrictions on abortion, and actually support mothers and children.
Sign this petition now!
Petition to: Dwight Ball - Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador