Drop all charges against Dr. Robert Oscar Lopez
Professor Robert Oscar Lopez, an English professor at California State University Northridge, is on the verge of being suspended without pay, ostensibly due to a conference, “Bonds that Matter,” that he organized a year ago. This man of Puerto Rican and Philippine heritage, who knows 6 modern languages as well as Latin and Greek, is being hounded out of his job, purely for ideological reasons.
1. The “Bonds that Matter” conference organized by Dr. Lopez in October 2014 was a good faith effort to discuss important issues of great public concern, including:
- Whether children have rights to a relationship with both of their parents, in the absence of some unavoidable tragedy.
- Whether children have a right to know their identity, so that all adults without exception can know their cultural heritage and genetic identity.
- Whether these entitlements of children impose legitimate obligations and limitations on adult behavior.
2. This conference was an optional event, with a substitute assignment available. Any claims that Dr. Lopez forced or intimidated students to attend is a lie. Some students took the non-conference option.
3. Over 100 students attended the conference. One student filed a formal complaint. Three others filed “informal” complaints.
4. The students filed their complaints well past the deadline for filing complaints in a “timely” fashion.
5. Dr. Lopez was not informed about these complaints until after the students had graduated.
6. During the course of that investigation, the University changed its charges without telling Dr. Lopez.
7. Dr. Lopez’s parents divorced when he was a toddler. His mother formed an intimate relationship with another woman. His father disappeared from his life for a long time. Dr. Lopez feels that these events were traumatic for him, and has been outspoken in saying so.
8. His counter-cultural views are an embarrassment to the Sexual Revolutionary Establishment. They believe he must be silenced. We urge people to rally around Dr. Lopez, sign this petition, and demand that all the charges against this brave man be dismissed.