Our prayers for peace in France and in the world
A truck drove into a crowd celebrating France's National Day. For two kilometers, the truck sped upto 90 km/h zigzagging through the crowd to maximise the number of people killed and injured.
The result: the death of 84 people, 10 of them children. Additionally, there are 100 wounded, 18 of them seriously.
The truck driver, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, Franco-Tunisian, 31, was killed by the French police.
The so-called Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack. And, the French and Spanish police had already been on alert for a possible truck attack.
The reactions were not long in coming:
- Pope Francis: " Solidarity with the suffering of the victims and France. I condemn all homicidal madness".
- Msgr. André Marceau, Bishop of Nice: "Our Diocese has been beaten and wounded because blind violence, hatred and barbarism have produced death".
- Angela Merckel : "Germany is with France in the fight against terrorism, and I am convinced that, despite all the difficulties, we will win that fight".
- Barack Obama : "I condemn the horrific attack in Nice...We have offered the French authorities all the help they need to investigate this attack and bring those responsible to justice".
- Mariano Rajoy: "Shocked by the news coming from Nice and I'm still concerned. My condolences to the victims and to all French people".
- François Hollande : "The terrorist character of this attack can not be denied...we will continue attacking those who attack us on our own soil".
The French Government has mobilised 10,000 reservists, and the state of emergency has been extended by three months.
Celebrities have also joined the condolences and solidarity:
Sergio Ramos: "Terrible, shocking and sad. My thoughts are with the French people".
Rafa Nadal: "Watching the news and horrified by what happened in Nice. My support for the French people, all victims and their families".
Pilar Rubio: "My solidarity with Nice and my absolute condemnation of this deliberate terrorist act".
Chloë Grace Moretz: "What is happening to this world?"
Lance Armstrong: "I spent years living/travelling to Nice and the French Riviera. Great memories that will never change. It is very sad to see the tragedy tonight".
Pau Gasol: "Nice devastating news. The violence has to stop. All my support for the French people, to the victims and their families".
FOR MORE INFORMATION: